POLS 150 Lecture Notes - Lecture 9: First-Past-The-Post Voting, Unix System Iii, Wield

10 views2 pages

Document Summary

*find space in schedule for pizza & politics: down"s spatial model explaining (prescribing) multi-party systems and party behavior. Alternative to single member plurality system: proportion representation. Instead of voting for a candidate vote for a party. Based on the amount of votes a party gets in an election. Party gets % of seats based on % votes party received. Allows political parties to be more cohesive and organized. Explains why minor parties in the us has little representation in gov. Minor party can still wield power via coalition government. Downside: less stability-at any pt in time coalition gov can collapse. [16:00 audio: feelings/emotions about political campaigns and elections, us: most positive and negative i. ii. iii. i. i. i. ii. iii. Conducive to democracy bc you care (makes those teams relevant) Involvement is what makes the political system work as a fan (favoritism or hatred) of the system.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers