POL 3 Lecture Notes - Lecture 6: Lingua Franca, Status Quo, North American Free Trade Agreement

36 views5 pages

Document Summary

Can apply a theory to an event, but may have little to do with the real world. Understanding the real world: how to best explain specific pu les and problems in international politics, a pragmatic approach to international relations. Actors : us, canada, mexico governments; heads of state; industries lobbying for/against nafta; voters/public/constituents; negotiators. Interactions : renegotiation fails, stay status quo; renegotiation fails, either. Institutions : domestic - congress, future elections ii. iii: two types of future strategic interaction i. ii. iii. iv. v. Rivalrous : ex. pilots all speak the same language. Excludable: ex. air, highway systems, ex. internationally - national security. Free riders others: how to best achieve cooperation, mechanics of bargaining i. One-dimension represents the thing being bargained over: one-dimensional policy space, for bargaining, we usually look at territorial disputes, a status quo division (cid:840)x(cid:841, reservation values (cid:840)x a . Are: bargaining range, risk of the i. i. ii. i. ii.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers