PSY 240 Lecture Notes - Lecture 4: Stanford Prison Experiment, Authoritarian Personality, Stanley Milgram

44 views4 pages

Document Summary

Behavior change produced by the commands of authority. Obedience to authority: three roles in the study. Experimenter seated near participant in separate room: milgram"s research: study design. Confederate makes intentional errors on test: prods used in milgram"s experiment. When participant protested, experimenter (authority figure) provides prods to continue i. ii. iii. iv: obedience. You have no other choice, you must go on. Psychiatrists predicted: most subjects would quit after 135 volts, only 4% would shock up to 300 volts, <1% shock to highest level, milgram"s results. 1: 12. 5, 10, 5, 2. 5, the obedience participant, foot-in-the-door technique i. Start with small shock gradually increase shocks: blame-the-victims, participants were tormented by experience, no gender differences, findings replicated - different countries/different age groups, factors that influence obedience, important factors in milgram"s results, the victim i. Rigid, intolerant of dissent, punitive: social impact theory, social influence depends on three factors: i. ii. iii.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers