PSY 101 Lecture Notes - Lecture 7: Lightning, Sex In Advertising, Operant Conditioning

47 views3 pages
10 May 2018
School
Department
Course
Chapter 7: Learning
Learning
o A relatively permanent behavior change due to experience
o How do we learn?
o Conditioning- the process of learning associations
o Classical Conditioning (a type of learning that occurs when a previously neutral stimulus
develops the potential to elicit a response through its association with a stimulus that
already elicits that response)
o Two related events: Stimulus 1: Lightning + Stimulus 2: Thunder
Result after repetition: Stimulus: we see lightning response: we wince (fear and
anticipation), anticipating thunder
o Palo’s Eperiets Palo as iterested i the role of salivation in digestion. His
subjects in this research were dogs. He surgically implated i dogs’ uzzles otaiers
which collect saliva)(here the sound of the bell is the previously neutral stimulus,
response is salivation, stimulus that already elicits that response is food. Unconditioned
response is the salivation by food, unconditioned stimulus is the food, neutral stimulus
produces no salivation)(then the unconditioned stimulus is repeatedly presented just
after the neutral stimulus, the unconditioned stimulus continues to produce an
unconditioned response)(then the neutral stimulus alone produces a conditioned
response, thereby becoming a conditioned stimulus) (Serendipity- when u made an
accidental discovery)
o Classical conditioning is also a type of learning in which one learns to link two or more
stimuli and anticipate events.
o Major phenomena
o Acquisition
o The initial stage of learning when a neutral stimulus is linked to an unconditioned
stimulus so that the neutral stimulus begins triggering the conditioned response.
o Extinction
o The diminished (weakened) responding that occurs when the conditioned stimulus no
longer signals an upcoming unconditioned stimulus.
o Spontaneous Recovery
o The reappearance of a weakened conditioned response after a pause.
o Generalization
o The tendency, once a response has been conditioned, for stimuli similar to the
conditioned stimulus to elicit similar responses.
o Discrimination
o The learned ability to discriminate between a conditioned stimulus and stimuli that do
not signal an unconditioned stimulus.
o Palo’s Lega
o Applications of Classical Conditioning
o Former drug users often feel a craving when they are again in the drug-using context-
with people or in places they associate with previous highs. Thus, drug counselors advise
addicts to change environment.
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com
Unlock document

This preview shows page 1 of the document.
Unlock all 3 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in

Document Summary

Result after repetition: stimulus: we see lightning response: we wince (fear and anticipation), anticipating thunder: pa(cid:448)lo(cid:448)"s e(cid:454)peri(cid:373)e(cid:374)ts (cid:894)pa(cid:448)lo(cid:448) (cid:449)as i(cid:374)terested i(cid:374) the role of salivation in digestion. He surgically impla(cid:374)ted i(cid:374) dogs" (cid:373)uzzles (cid:272)o(cid:374)tai(cid:374)ers which collect saliva)(here the sound of the bell is the previously neutral stimulus, response is salivation, stimulus that already elicits that response is food. Thus, drug counselors advise addicts to change environment: advertisers pair previously neutral stimuli (brands) with erotic images with the idea that the brand will itself elicit the same positive response as the image. Classical conditioning is the (cid:271)asis of the adage that (cid:862)se(cid:454) sells. (cid:863: as demonstrated by john watson, emotional responses can be understood as developing through classical conditioning. The threat of harsh sentences is generally ineffective: ki(cid:374)(cid:374)er"s lega(cid:272)(cid:455, applications of operant conditioning, at school: skinner introduced the concept of teaching machines that shape learning in small steps and provide reinforcements for correct rewards.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers