PSYC 441 Lecture Notes - Lecture 3: Genetic Epidemiology, Molecular Genetics, Twin Study

41 views3 pages

Document Summary

If so, does there appear to be a single gene or multiple genes: molecular genetics: Must know what gene you are testing for. Can look across the whole genome: molecular biology (used for finding treatments): What neurotransmitters or other systems is it important for: genetic epidemiology, studies, family studies: First degree relatives (i. e. people related with someone with the disorder) have 6-17% greater risk than the rest of the population. Mz (identical) twins and children of two parents with sz have the highest risk (about 50%): Genes are not enough; the environment must contribute. Siblings have lower risk than dz twins. Parents have lower risk than children or siblings (i. e. the parents of a person identified with sz have a lower risk of having sz): Environmental factors (e. g. , more stable family environment). Epige(cid:374)eti(cid:272)s (i. e. (cid:272)ha(cid:374)ges that o(cid:272)(cid:272)ur duri(cid:374)g a perso(cid:374)"s life ti(cid:373)e that can influence offspring without changing the genes): twin studies:

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers