INT 904 Study Guide - Midterm Guide: Canadian Cancer Society, Dementia

44 views2 pages
Module 3: Determinants of Health Notes
Why does the Aboriginal population contain such high incidences of chronic health
conditions such as heart disease, dementia and arthritis/rheumatism? (b) How do the
determinants of health influence the Aboriginal communities in particular?
There are many reasons as to why the Aboriginal population contains such a high
incidence of chronic health conditions. Notably, the focus when speaking of chronic health
conditions will be on heart disease, dementia, and arthritis/rheumatism. One of the leading
reasons is due to poverty that was caused by colonization. The Colonization that the Aboriginals
experienced led to limited access to health care services, lack of employment and education
opportunities, and inadequate housing and access to resources (Public Health Agency of Canada,
2003). Therefore, the colonization caused many of these problems led to ill health, disease, and
eventual death. Furthermore, there were policies created which disabled the Aboriginals to grow
out of the lowest socio-economic level within our society.
I have also noticed, during my nursing placement, that there are several individuals
within the Aboriginal community that lack education and do not have proper living conditions
and working conditions. Unemployment can lead to significant health problems and family stress.
As a result, drinking and substance is commonly seen in the Aboriginal community as a coping
mechanism (Canadian Centre on Substance Use, 2018).
There are several determinants of health that influence the Aboriginal communities in
particular. Many of the Aboriginal people do not have a high income. By not having a ample
amount of money, it is difficult for them to enjoy the standard of living that they wish to have.
The lack of education and literacy of Aboriginals has a major impact as this prevents them from
growing. Having a strong education is essential as it opens up many doors and may lead to
success. Furthermore, education also enables one to recognize the different options for healthcare
and nutrition. The social and physical environment in which Aboriginals are brought up has a
impact as their influenced by their surroundings. For example, a environment containing poor air
quality may result in adverse health effects.
The Aboriginal culture relies on natural solutions (home remedies) and as a result has
adverse health impacts. For instance, tabaco is heavily used as a natural remedy/offering/, even
though studies show that it is not healthy (Canadian Cancer Society, 2018). Additionally,
language plays an integral role and if one is not able to speak in the mainstream language, it
limits growth.
A determinant that I feel strongly about is Healthy Child Development. Children under
the age of 6 are said to be most influenced by their experiences on their physical and emotional
levels. So if a child experienced neglect or abuse, this often leads to high level of behavioral and
social problems throughout their life, which is commonly seen within the aboriginal
community.
A article that I found very interesting on this topic can be found on the CBC website and
a URL is provided below:
Unlock document

This preview shows half of the first page of the document.
Unlock all 2 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in

Document Summary

There are many reasons as to why the aboriginal population contains such a high incidence of chronic health conditions. Notably, the focus when speaking of chronic health conditions will be on heart disease, dementia, and arthritis/rheumatism. One of the leading reasons is due to poverty that was caused by colonization. The colonization that the aboriginals experienced led to limited access to health care services, lack of employment and education opportunities, and inadequate housing and access to resources (public health agency of canada, Therefore, the colonization caused many of these problems led to ill health, disease, and eventual death. Furthermore, there were policies created which disabled the aboriginals to grow out of the lowest socio-economic level within our society. I have also noticed, during my nursing placement, that there are several individuals within the aboriginal community that lack education and do not have proper living conditions and working conditions. Unemployment can lead to significant health problems and family stress.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers