PSYC 333 Study Guide - Final Guide: Sexual Attraction, Romantic Orientation, Homophobia

63 views3 pages

Document Summary

Chapter 11: sexual/affectional orientations and diversity: define sexual/affectional orientation. See chapter question 1 below: describe the stages of the coming out process. First awareness of gay/lesbian thoughts, feelings, and attractions. Identity comparison: accepts being gay/lesbian and examines the wider implications of that commitment. Identity tolerance: i probably am gay acknowledges they are gay and seek out other individuals who are gay. Identity acceptance: i am gay and i will be ok start to compartmentalize all aspects of their life to gay life and maintain less contact with heterosexual community. Identity pride: i"ve got to let people know that i am gay and that all my relationships should be with gay people (work, social, everything) Once they are out of those environments into the real world, they assume heterosexual behaviour again: describe a person-centered orientation. Refers to things like behaviour or emotional connection/ attraction. So cognitive and affective aspects of that experience romantic attraction & emotional attachment.