BIO 201 Lecture Notes - Lecture 16: Atp Hydrolysis, Activation Energy, Chemical Bond

45 views6 pages

Document Summary

Basic laws of thermodynamics: 1st law of thermodynamics. Energy of a closed system is conserved a. ii. Energy can neither be created nor destroyed a. iii. There is no spontaneous generation of energy: 2nd law of thermodynamics b. i. The entropy of a closed system always tends to increase b. i. 1. Times arrow the inevitable consequence of time is that ordered systems will tend to disorder b. ii. 1. A low entropy system will increase in entropy, as long as no energy is put into the system b. iii. Anytime energy is interconverted in a closed system, entropy increases b. iv. 1. In cells, energy is constantly being interconverted b. iv. 2. Energy needs to be put into the system just to reverse the inevitable increase in entropy b. iv. 3. If you don"t put energy in, entropy will increase b. iv. 3. a. Breakdown of biological macromolecules, which themselves are a low energy form. Death: reactions and processes do not go unless they are energetically favorable a. i.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers