PHIL 111 Lecture Notes - Lecture 4: Greco-Roman Mysteries, Techne

26 views2 pages
5 Oct 2017
Department
Course
Professor

Document Summary

Socrates condemned to death for poisoning the minds of the youth, and believing in strange gods: he (cid:449)ould hea(cid:396) (cid:862)(cid:448)oi(cid:272)es(cid:863) i(cid:374) his heads, voices seen as powers close to gods. Constantly harasses people -> p(cid:396)o(cid:448)i(cid:374)g that they do(cid:374)"t k(cid:374)o(cid:449) a(cid:374)ythi(cid:374)g a(cid:271)out a(cid:374)ythi(cid:374)g. He needs to drink the poison himself -> important for socrates that he drink it himself, and that he do what the law says. No poison currently known, works the way described by socrates while he was dying: either exaggeration by plato or we no longer know of the ancient concoction. Ship of theseus -> soul going and returning: the ship going is what delayed his trial. Plato thinks many laws are unfair, but believes in his core that the law must be obeyed -> very anti-democratic. (cid:862)i too speak a(cid:271)out this f(cid:396)o(cid:373) hea(cid:396)say. (cid:863) Pretends he was in court: separation from reality. Death is not evil if you are a philosopher.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers