CMM 110 Chapter Notes - Chapter 7: High-Context And Low-Context Cultures

30 views3 pages

Document Summary

De ne: culture: the rules and customs if living that distinguishes the members of one group or category of people from another, intercultural communication: when members of one culture communicate with another (or don"t), cultural rituals: example- thanksgiving. Co-cultures (no threat to dominants: exist side by side with dominant cultures. Sub-cultures: rejects many aspects of dominant culture. In high context cultures, status and situation is most important. (iran, japan) Low context culture message is more important (u. s. , germany: individual vs. collectivist. Individual = my achievements are my from my efforts u. s. , u. k. Collectivist= my achievements are from my family or group i belong to (china india: direct vs. Indirect lets get to know each other : power distance. High-classes are real and rigid: ex: india, some degree of slavery remains. Low-distances aren"t far: u. s, no slavery. Silent language-e. t hall: primary message systems. Cultural rituals: holidays/ things done annually . Dominant cultures: what most people in the culture does.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers