BIOL 2112 Chapter Notes - Chapter 16: Okazaki Fragments, Dna Replication, Dna Ligase

21 views3 pages
Lecture 23 DNA replication
1) The DNA molecule of a normal mammalian chromosome is a double helix. A. What
is the term used to describe the orientation of the sugar-phosphate backbones of the
double helix? Antiparallel their subunits run in opposite directions. B. What functional
groups distiguish the 5’ ed fro the 3’ ed of DNA? Phosphate group attahed to 5’
carbon, –OH attahed to 3’ aro. 2) A. What are Chargaff’s rules? (1) DNA base
composition varies between species (2) for each species, the percentages of A and T bases
are roughly equal, as are those of G and C bases. B. How does the Watson and Crick
model of the double helix explai Chargaff’s rules? The ratios explain that when one
strand of DNA has an A, the partner strand has a T. Similarly, G is always paired with T. In
any organism, the amount of adenine equals the amount of thymine and the amount of
guanine equals the amount of cytosine. (Confirmed by DNA sequencing to be exactly
equal). 3) Is the DNA replication model conservative, semiconservative, or dispersed?
Semiconservative when DNA replicates, each of the daughter molecules will have one
old strand from the parent molecule and one new strand. 4) A. Where does DNA
replication begin in both prokaryotes and eukaryotes? Origins of replication short
sequence of DNA consisting of specific nucleotides that proteins that initiate replication
a reogize ad id to, separatig the strads ad opeig up a repliatio ule.
B. How many replication bubbles can be seen in a mammalian chromosome during S
phase? Hundreds or even a few thousand 5) What is the source of energy that drives
DNA replication? DNA polymerase catalyzes the addition of each monomer via a
dehydration reaction. As each monomer is joined to the growing end of the DNA strand,
two phosphate groups are lost as a molecule of pyrophosphate (PP). Subsequent
hydrolysis of the pyrophosphate to two molecules of inorganic phosphate (P) is a coupled
exergonic reaction that helps drive the polymerization reaction.6) Match the following
terms with the appropriate description. Untwists the DNA helix at the replication
forks, separating the DNA strands into templates available for replication. Helicase
Synthesizes a 10-nucleotide RNA primer along the DNA template strand. Primase
Elongates DNA strands in a 5’ 3’ direction DNA polymerase I Replaces RNA primer
with DNA; replaceet is i a 5’3’ directio DNA polymerase III Joins the sugar-
phosphate backbone of Okazaki fragments. DNA ligase Cleaves the sugar-phosphate
backbone in order to relieve strain on the DNA strand due to torsion from the
replication forks. Topoisomerase Binds and stabilizes single-stranded DNA template
until polymerase complex moves forward. Single-stranded DNA binding protein 7) A.
How does the antiparallel structure of the double helix affect replication? Because of
struture, DNA polerases a ol add uleotides to the free 3’ ed of a prier or
groig DNA strad, eer the 5’ ed. B. How does leading strand synthesis differ from
lagging strand synthesis? Include the term Okazaki fragment in your answer. Along one
strand, DNA can synthesize a complementary strand continuously by elongating the new
DNA i the adator 5’
3’ diretio. This is the leading strand. To elongate the other
new strand of DNA i the adator 5’
3’ diretio, the DNA polymerase III must start
in the direction away from the replication fork. This is the lagging strand, and is
synthesized discontinuously as a series of fragments Okazaki fragments (100-200
nucleotides in Eukaryotes and 1,000-2,000 in E. coli)
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com
Unlock document

This preview shows page 1 of the document.
Unlock all 3 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in

Document Summary

Lecture 23 dna replication: the dna molecule of a normal mammalian chromosome is a double helix. Antiparallel their subunits run in opposite directions. Phosphate group atta(cid:272)hed to 5" carbon, oh atta(cid:272)hed to 3" (cid:272)ar(cid:271)o(cid:374). What are chargaff"s rules? (1) dna base composition varies between species (2) for each species, the percentages of a and t bases are roughly equal, as are those of g and c bases. Semiconservative when dna replicates, each of the daughter molecules will have one old strand from the parent molecule and one new strand. Hundreds or even a few thousand 5) what is the source of energy that drives. Dna polymerase catalyzes the addition of each monomer via a dehydration reaction. As each monomer is joined to the growing end of the dna strand, two phosphate groups are lost as a molecule of pyrophosphate (p p).

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers