SOCL 1101 Chapter Notes - Chapter 17: Biology And Sexual Orientation, Risk Society, Human Genome Project

35 views3 pages

Document Summary

When biologists debate boundaries of legit theories of evolution intelligent design vs darwinian theory: matthew effect: describes notion that some scientific results get more attention/notoriety than others bc of the existing prestige of the researchers involved d. i. Termed coined by merton based on a bible verse: agriculture and the environment, organic foods a. i. Label that says made w organic ingredients different than one that says certified organic a. ii. Small farms have hard time becoming certified bc its an expensive process creates further stratification b/w big farms and small ones a. iii. Also stratifies rich and poor, as organic foods are more readily available in wealthier areas and cost more: gmos b. i. More profit higher produce yields, longer shelf life, better resistance to disease and pests b. ii. Environmental impact reduces biodiversity, disrupts existing ecosystems" food chains: risk society: society that both produces and is concerned w mitigating (manufactured) risks of that production c. i. Urlich beck separated risks into 2 categories: c. i. 1.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers