PSY 30312 Chapter Notes - Chapter 8: Bruxism, Encopresis, Enuresis

19 views2 pages
25 Oct 2016
School
Department
Course
Professor

Document Summary

Chapter 8: attention-deficit/ hyperactive disorder (adhd: 30%-60% also speech and language impairments. Pee(cid:272)h a(cid:374)d la(cid:374)guage i(cid:373)pair(cid:373)e(cid:374)t = related to (cid:272)hild"s spe(cid:272)ifi(cid:272) adhd sy(cid:373)pto(cid:373)s. Adhd-pi related to weaker receptive and expressive vocabulary skills. Adhd-hi related to poor language skills: children with adhd (cid:373)ay ha(cid:448)e diffi(cid:272)ulty i(cid:374) u(cid:374)dersta(cid:374)di(cid:374)g others" spee(cid:272)h a(cid:374)d i(cid:374) usi(cid:374)g appropriate la(cid:374)guage i(cid:374) e(cid:448)eryday situations. Medical and physical concerns: health-related problems: Higher rates of enuresis (involuntary urination) and encopresis (involuntary pooping) Asthma in early life increased the risk of developing adhd. Other risks include dental problems, poor fitness, obesity, and eating problems. Sleep disturbances resistance to going to bed, teeth grinding, restless sleep: accident-proneness and risk taking: 50% describe their kids with adhd as accident-prone. Three times more likely to experience serious accidental injuries. Adhd= significant risk factor for the early initiation of cigarette smoking, substance-use disorders, videogame addictions, and risky sexual behaviors. Impulsive behavior= the most significant childhood characteristic that predicts reduced life expectancy.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers