JMC 28001 Chapter Notes - Chapter 4: Organ Donation, Black Squirrel, Blood Bank

32 views2 pages
Emma Brobeck
Exercise #2
1. There are five parts to Patrick Jackson’s Behavioral Theory. The first step is to build
awareness. To me, this means learning about the topic or event. Maybe researching it,
finding people who can relate to it, and having a conversation about it. Look at what
celebrities or public figures are saying about the topic, etc. The second step is developing
a latent readiness. This step of the theory is where people develop their own opinion on
the subject. Their opinion may be based on many things. Emotions, past experiences or
events, and information that was taught to them, are all relevant. A triggering event is
step three. To me, a triggering event means a few different things, especially depending
on the situation. A triggering event could sway your opinion negatively, or positively. An
example of that is a blood bank. A broke college student may choose to donate blood or
plasma because they need money. Another example could be deciding to stay home from
an event in Downtown Pittsburgh because you heard there could be a shooting. The
fourth part to the theory is intermediate behavior. This is when people really do hard
research. They figure out how something could or could not impact them. Lastly is
behavioral change. This is when the individual changes their lifestyle. Lifestyle changes
are not always drastic. They might just have a new way of thinking about a certain
subject. They may add something new into their daily routine.
2. To sway Kent students to register to be an organ donor, I would start by providing
information, and obviously being aware. I could write a blog post about it, speak about it
during a campus event, hold a table at the black squirrel fest, or KSU kick off. A popular
thing in PR and advertising is social media. Doing so much as posting an Instagram story
can catch the attention of college students. Using latent readiness goes hand-in-hand with
posting an Instagram story. The student will see that, maybe think of it, and want to do
their own research on the topic. I could maybe make the triggering event a little more
personal. I could perhaps create a presentation on the benefits of becoming an organ
donor, and what could happen if people aren’t organ donors. We obviously know what
happens when enough people in the world are not organ donors. I could maybe make it
hit home and make points like “what would have happened to your grandma if she
Unlock document

This preview shows half of the first page of the document.
Unlock all 2 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in

Document Summary

Exercise #2: there are five parts to patrick jackson"s behavioral theory. To me, this means learning about the topic or event. Maybe researching it, finding people who can relate to it, and having a conversation about it. Look at what celebrities or public figures are saying about the topic, etc. The second step is developing a latent readiness. This step of the theory is where people develop their own opinion on the subject. Their opinion may be based on many things. Emotions, past experiences or events, and information that was taught to them, are all relevant. To me, a triggering event means a few different things, especially depending on the situation. A triggering event could sway your opinion negatively, or positively. An example of that is a blood bank. A broke college student may choose to donate blood or plasma because they need money.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers