SOSC 2340 Chapter Notes - Chapter 2: Michael J. Sandel, Bourgeoisie, Proletariat

164 views1 pages

Document Summary

Utilitarianism, and how he believes that morality should be to maximize happiness. While i was reading, i had noticed that in the previous chapter. Sandel stated that, justice should include respecting people"s freedom. Freedom of speech and actions should be included in that. Bentham"s philosophy violates that going further into the chapter, sandel brings it up how bentham does violate peoples individual rights. Morality should not be based on maximizing happiness, and then pursuing to make a decision based on that. For example, the cannibalism case, it was morally wrong to just eat the cabin boy, especially without his permission. If he had said, i"m dying anyways, just feed on me. it would have made it a bit better. Even though the other crew and their families out weight the happiness then the orphaned cabin boy, does not make it right to feed on him. This brings up john stuart mill"s view on bentham"s philosophy.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers