PSYCH261 Chapter Notes - Chapter 14: Transcortical Sensory Aphasia, Temporal Lobe, Mirror Neuron

48 views4 pages
Human Communication
Speech Production and Comprehension
Cerebrovascular accident-also know as a stroke. Caused by occlusion or rupture of blood vessel in brain.
Cells in that region die due to lack of blood. Used to study physiology of brain, fMRI can also be used
Aphasia- disturbance of comprehension or production of speech caused by brain damage. Must have
difficulty comprehending, repeating, or producing meaningful speech. Also must be isolated, not related
to other issues.
Lateralization- lost of language occurs after damage to left hemisphere
Broa’s aphasia- daage to Broa’s area i iferior left frotal loe. Slo laours o-fluent speech.
Posterior has something to say but a’t get through frontal. Hard time with small grammar words, is, a
are. Cannot differentiae when subjects are switched in sentence, cow hitting horse vs horse kicking cow.
Broa’s area- contains motor memories. Sequence of movements that need to talk
Agrammatism- difficulty comprehending and producing proper grammar. Sympto of Broa’s aphasia.
Do’t use edigs
Anomia- cant find appropriate word to describe object, action or attribute. Symptom of aphasia
Apraxia of speech-impairment in movements of tongue, lips and throat.
Werike’s aphasia- poor speech comprehension. Speech is fluent and unlaboured, uses grammatic
words and endings. Content does not make sense. Cannot answer questions proper, even when answer
is non verbal.
Werike’s area- on auditory association on left temporal lobe.
Pure word deafness- damage to left auditory input of superior temporal lobe. Not deaf but cannot
understand speech. Can recognize non speech sounds, barking, horn. Can recognize emotion in speech.
Can speak normally
Mirror neurons-brain has mirror neurons to recognize speech. Temporal (auditory) and frontal(motor)
activate when watching someone speech without sound. Speaking, watching others speak, thinking
about speech and listening activate communication mirror neurons
Posterior language area- posterior part of lateral fissure, near temporal, occipital and parietal junction.
Where auditory representation of word gets meaning.
Transcortical sensory aphasia- daage to posterior laguage area. Siilar to Werike’s ut a repeat
what has been said to them. Cannot comprehend what has been said to them, what they have repeated
or make meaningful sentence.
Meaning- meaning of a word is the memory associated with it. Also includes ideas that connect with it.
Think of word tree, picture tree, then think of lefts, bark, bush. Not stored in speech area but in other
regions, like association cortex.
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com
Unlock document

This preview shows page 1 of the document.
Unlock all 4 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in

Document Summary

Caused by occlusion or rupture of blood vessel in brain. Cells in that region die due to lack of blood. Used to study physiology of brain, fmri can also be used. Aphasia- disturbance of comprehension or production of speech caused by brain damage. Must have difficulty comprehending, repeating, or producing meaningful speech. Also must be isolated, not related to other issues. Lateralization- lost of language occurs after damage to left hemisphere. Bro(cid:272)a"s aphasia- da(cid:373)age to bro(cid:272)a"s area i(cid:374) i(cid:374)ferior left fro(cid:374)tal lo(cid:271)e. slo(cid:449) la(cid:271)ours (cid:374)o(cid:374)-fluent speech. Posterior has something to say but (cid:272)a(cid:374)"t get through frontal. Hard time with small grammar words, is, a are. Cannot differentiae when subjects are switched in sentence, cow hitting horse vs horse kicking cow. Anomia- cant find appropriate word to describe object, action or attribute. Apraxia of speech-impairment in movements of tongue, lips and throat. Speech is fluent and unlaboured, uses grammatic words and endings.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers