AFM291 Chapter Notes - Chapter 6: Continuous Track, Consignor, Consignee

53 views7 pages
Inventories
A. Information Systems for Inventory Control
- Perpetual inventory system: directly keeps track of additions to and withdrawals from
inventory
- Enterprise can determine inventory quantity on hand and COGS from the accounting
records at any point in time
- Produces more information for management of inventory levels on a timely basis
- Companies still need to conduct an inventory count even if they use the perpetual
method since the records may not correctly represent actual inventory quantities
- Has the ability to identify both the expected and actual amount of COGS
- E. a idetif shikage ieto losses fo theft o eakage → a help
decide whether it would be worthwhile to put in place additional inventory
management practices
- Periodic inventory system: does’t keep otiuous tak of ietoies ad COG“
- On the financial statement date, the enterprise conducts an inventory count to
determine the ending inventory quantity and applies product costs to these quantities
to determine the cost of ending inventory
- Uses a tepoa aout losed at the ed of the ea → puhases, so that the
company can distinguish changes in inventory arising from purchases rather than
adjustments to the inventory balance resulting from the inventory count.
- See exhibit 6-2 on page 243
- The inventory system chosen affects the implementation of different cost flow assumptions
B. Initial Recognition and Measurement
- IA“  → the ost of ietoies shall opise all osts of puhase, osts of oesio, ad
other costs incurred in bringing the inventories to their present location and condition
1. Purchased Goods
- Ieto ost fo goods puhased fo esale → puhase pie, a taes that ae’t
recoverable from the government, shipping and handling costs, and any other costs
incurred up to the point where the product is at the desired location for sale
- Important to determine whether goods in transit from a supplier or to a customer should be
included in inventory
- Free on board: point at which the buyer takes legal possession of the goods
- FOB origin/shipping point: buyer takes possession as soon as the goods leave the
supplie’s peises
- FOB destiatio: ue takes possessio he the goods eah the ue’s peises
- At the year end, an enterprise should include in inventories goods that are on its premises,
and inbound goods in transit that are FOB origin and outbound goods in transit that are FOB
destination
- Risks and rewards of ownership do not transfer from the consignor to the consignee, and
the latter should not include consigned goods in its inventories
find more resources at oneclass.com
Unlock document

This preview shows pages 1-2 of the document.
Unlock all 7 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in
2. Manufactured Goods
- Product costs: all costs incurred in the acquisition of raw materials and the conversion
process
- Include: materials, production labor (including factory supervision), VOH (ex.
electricity), and FOH (ex. heating costs)
- Should be capitalized since they incurred as part of the production process
- Period costs: costs that should not be capitalized in inventory because they are not closely
related to the production process
- Ex. marketing, administration, accounting, and finance
- Expense period costs in the period incurred
- Two views to determine whether an expenditure on FOH is a product or period cost:
- Variable costing: considers fixed manufacturing OH to be a period cost because such
osts do’t a aodig to podutio leel
- Absorption costing: considers FOH as a product cost because production cannot take
place without these costs
- Managerial accounting and internal decision making favor the variable costing method
- IFRS and ASPE require the use of absorption costing for external financial reporting
- It’s osistet ith the Coeptual Faeok → etepises iu FOH costs to
produce goods that generate revenue in the future, so such costs meet the definition
of an asset
- The later expensing of these costs through COGS when the products are sold matches
costs to the revenue generated.
- The capitalization of FOH creates issues when production levels significantly deviate from
normal production levels
a. FOH capitalization when production is above normal
- See exhibit 6-4 on page 246
- Under absorption costing, an enterprise can lower COGS by increasing production volume
- Increases in production volume will result in decreases in the fixed cost per unit
- If a manager needed extra income, for example to meet an earnings target, then they
could raise production at the end of the year so the ending inventories absorbed more
FOH
- It’s ipotat to distiguish ieasig goss agis that ae due to ipoed ost
management from the portion due to changes in production levels
Unlock document

This preview shows pages 1-2 of the document.
Unlock all 7 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in

Document Summary

Perpetual inventory system: directly keeps track of additions to and withdrawals from inventory. Enterprise can determine inventory quantity on hand and cogs from the accounting records at any point in time. Produces more information for management of inventory levels on a timely basis. Companies still need to conduct an inventory count even if they use the perpetual method since the records may not correctly represent actual inventory quantities. Has the ability to identify both the expected and actual amount of cogs. E(cid:454). (cid:272)a(cid:374) ide(cid:374)tif(cid:455) (cid:862)sh(cid:396)i(cid:374)kage(cid:863) (cid:894)i(cid:374)(cid:448)e(cid:374)to(cid:396)(cid:455) losses f(cid:396)o(cid:373) theft o(cid:396) (cid:271)(cid:396)eakage(cid:895) (cid:272)a(cid:374) help decide whether it would be worthwhile to put in place additional inventory management practices. Periodic inventory system: does(cid:374)"t keep (cid:272)o(cid:374)ti(cid:374)uous t(cid:396)a(cid:272)k of i(cid:374)(cid:448)e(cid:374)to(cid:396)ies a(cid:374)d cog . On the financial statement date, the enterprise conducts an inventory count to determine the ending inventory quantity and applies product costs to these quantities to determine the cost of ending inventory.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers