AFM280 Chapter Notes - Chapter 4: Job Satisfaction, Job Performance, Neuroticism

17 views5 pages
Chapter 4 individual characteristics and mechanisms
Personality, cultural values and ability
4.1 what is personality? What are cultural values? What is ability?
- Personality refers to the structures and propensities inside people that explain their
characteristic patterns of thought, emotion and behaviour. It captures what people are
like.
- Personality is a collection of multiple traits.
- Traits recurring regularities or teds i people’s esposes to thei eioet. E.
Easy going, responsible.
- Cultural values shared beliefs about desirable end states or modes of conduct in a
given culture. Ex. Traditional, risk averse, informal, assertive.
- Ability STABLE capabilities people have to perform a particular range of different but
related activities. It captures what people can do.
How can we describe what employees are like?
- Personality traits and cultural values
4.2 Big 5 factors of personality
1. Conscientiousness dimension of personality reflecting traits like dependable,
organized, reliable, ambitious, hard working and persevering
- Conscientious people prioritize ACCOMPLISHMENT STRIVING strong desire to
aoplish goals as a eas of epessig oe’s pesoalit. They have a built in desire
to finish tasks, high efforts, striving nature. Related to performance.
2. Agreeableness traits like kind, cooperative, sympathetic, helpful, courteous and warm.
- They prioritize COMMUNION STIRIVING strong desire to obtain acceptance in
pesoal elatioships as a ea of epessig oe’s pesoalit. The fous o gettig
alog istead of gettig ahead. Not elated to pefoae.
3. Neuroticism traits like being nervous, moody, emotional, insecure, jealous and
unstable
- Negative affectivity dispositional tendency to experience unpleasant moods such as
hostility, nervousness and annoyance.
- Employees experience low levels of job satisfaction.
- Neurotic people are usually more stressed and are responsible for type A behavior
pattern.
- Neuroticism is strongly related to LOCUS OF CONTROL which reflects whether people
attribute the causes of events to themselves or to the external environment.
find more resources at oneclass.com
Unlock document

This preview shows pages 1-2 of the document.
Unlock all 5 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in
- They believe that EXTERNAL events that occur around them are driven by luck, chance,
fate. Less neurotic people ted to hold a iteal lous o otol… believe that
INTENRAL events are by their own behavior.
- Studies show that people with internal locus of control led to better job satisfaction,
better health, low blood pressure and less stress.
4. openness to experience traits like being curious, imaginative, creative, complex,
refined and sophisticated. Not related to job performance
- open employees excel in training environments because their curiosity gives them in
build desire to learn new things.
- Has the ost alteatie laels opaed to the est…iuisitieess , ultue o
ee itelletualess
- Tend to adapt quick to old ways as well.
- Openness to experience is most likely to be valuable in jobs that require creative
performance.
- EXPERIENCE AND CREATIVITY
5. extraversion talkative, passionate, sociable, assertive, bold and dominant.
- Zero acquaintance situations situations where 2 people have just met.
- Not necessarily related to performance but people prioritize STATUS STRIVING desire
to otai poe ad ifluee ithi a soial stutue as a eas of epessig oe’s
personality.
- Extraverted people also tend to have POSITIVE AFFECTIVITY a dispositional tendency
to experience pleasant, engaging moods such as enthusiasm, excitement and elation.
4.3 what taxonomies can be used to describe cultural values?
Cultural values
- Culture defined as the shared values, beliefs, motives, identities and interpretations
that result from common experiences of members of a society and are transmitted
across generations.
- What we are like requires an awareness of where we are from.
- Cultural values by Geert Hofstede are: individualism-collectivism, power distance,
uncertainty avoidance and masculinity-feminity. A fifth dimension is short term vs long
term orientation.
- Individualism-collectivism the degree to which a culture has a loosely knit social
framework where they take care of themselves and immediate family (individualism ex.
canada) or a tight social framework which people take care of members of a broader
group (collectivism)
- Power distance degree to which a culture prefers equal power distribution (low power
distance ex canada) or an unequal power distribution that relies on formal rules to
create stability (high power distance)
- Masculinity femininity the degree to which a culture values stereotypically male
traits (masculinity Ex. canada) or stereotypically female traits (femininity)
Unlock document

This preview shows pages 1-2 of the document.
Unlock all 5 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in

Document Summary

Personality refers to the structures and propensities inside people that explain their characteristic patterns of thought, emotion and behaviour. Personality is a collection of multiple traits. Traits recurring regularities or t(cid:396)e(cid:374)ds i(cid:374) people"s (cid:396)espo(cid:374)ses to thei(cid:396) e(cid:374)(cid:448)i(cid:396)o(cid:374)(cid:373)e(cid:374)t. e(cid:454). Cultural values shared beliefs about desirable end states or modes of conduct in a given culture. Ability stable capabilities people have to perform a particular range of different but related activities. 4. 2 big 5 factors of personality: conscientiousness dimension of personality reflecting traits like dependable, organized, reliable, ambitious, hard working and persevering. Conscientious people prioritize accomplishment striving strong desire to a(cid:272)(cid:272)o(cid:373)plish goals as a (cid:373)ea(cid:374)s of e(cid:454)p(cid:396)essi(cid:374)g o(cid:374)e"s pe(cid:396)so(cid:374)alit(cid:455). They have a built in desire to finish tasks, high efforts, striving nature. Related to performance: agreeableness traits like kind, cooperative, sympathetic, helpful, courteous and warm. They prioritize communion stiriving strong desire to obtain acceptance in pe(cid:396)so(cid:374)al (cid:396)elatio(cid:374)ships as a (cid:373)ea(cid:374) of e(cid:454)p(cid:396)essi(cid:374)g o(cid:374)e"s pe(cid:396)so(cid:374)alit(cid:455).

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers