PSYC 2310 Chapter Notes - Chapter 3: Affective Forecasting, Social Comparison Theory, Know Thyself

29 views3 pages

Document Summary

Three features of self: (basic aspects cross-culturally) i. ii. iii. Self includes social identity (i. e. student, group members) Self is the active agent (decision based on goals, regulations, etc. ) Self is an interpersonal tool (helps us have relationships, we are who we think we are and with no knowledge of ourselves we have no sense of identity) Self makes choices (obligation + goals, people make small and large decisions that reflect their principles, goals and priorities. ) Self-regulation (we have contradictory goals, hierarchy of needs, also looks at emotional regulation) Self-concept: an individual"s overall beliefs about his or her own attributes. (william james referred to this as the know or the me ) Self-concept clarity is defined as the extent to which knowledge about the self is clearly or consistently defined. Self-knowledge is obtained from others but it is heavily filtered through biases from others. Our lack of tendency to hear and process criticism.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers