PHIL 3180 Chapter Notes - Chapter 7-8: Expert System, Inference, Thought Experiment

49 views12 pages

Document Summary

Quining qualia notes: corralling the quicksilver. Properties of conscious experience are prime examples of qualia. I am out to overthrow an idea that, in one form or another, is obvious to most people-to scientists, philosophers, lay people. My quarry is frustratingly elusive; no sooner does it retreat in the face of one argument than it reappears, apparently innocent of all charges, in a new guise. Everything real has properties, and since i don"t deny the reality of conscious experience, i grant that conscious experience has properties. I grant moreover that each person"s states of consciousness have properties in virtue of which those states have the experiential content that they do. Qualia are supposed to be special properties, in some hard-to- define way. My claim-which can only come into focus as we proceed-is that conscious experience has no properties that are special in any of the ways qualia have been supposed to be special.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers