PSYC 333 Chapter Notes - Chapter 1: Classical Conditioning, Ethology, Ecological Systems Theory

70 views8 pages

Document Summary

Theory: a set of statements that describes, explains, and predicts behavior. Three basic issues in development: continuous or discontinuous development theories, continuous: i. Gradual augmentation of the same type of skills that were there to begin with: discontinuous: i. New ways of understanding and responding to the world that emerge at specific times: A unique combination of personal and environmental circumstances that can result in different paths of change. Contexts that shape development are many-layered and complex: relative influence of nature and nurture, nature-nurture controversy: i. Are genetics or environmental factors more important: theories: i. ii. iii. Stresses the importance of heredity: individuals who are high or low in a characteristic will remain so at later ages. Stresses the importance of early experiences: powerful negative events in the first few years cannot be fully overcome by later, positive ones. Stresses that development is open to change in response to influential experiences.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers