[PSYC 333] - Final Exam Guide - Ultimate 68 pages long Study Guide!

184 views68 pages

Document Summary

Theory: a set of statements that describes, explains, and predicts behavior. Three basic issues in development: continuous or discontinuous development theories, continuous: i. Gradual augmentation of the same type of skills that were there to begin with: discontinuous: i. New ways of understanding and responding to the world that emerge at specific times: A unique combination of personal and environmental circumstances that can result in different paths of change. Contexts that shape development are many-layered and complex: relative influence of nature and nurture, nature-nurture controversy: i. Are genetics or environmental factors more important: theories: i. ii. iii. Stresses the importance of heredity: individuals who are high or low in a characteristic will remain so at later ages. Stresses the importance of early experiences: powerful negative events in the first few years cannot be fully overcome by later, positive ones. Stresses that development is open to change in response to influential experiences.