PSYC 325 Chapter Notes - Chapter 6: Boogie 2Nite, Cognitive Dissonance, Condom

61 views8 pages

Document Summary

Attitudes: evaluations of people, objects, or ideas, made up of three components, an affective component: i. Consists of emotional reactions toward the attitude object (e. g. , another person or a social issue): a cognitive component: i. Consists of thoughts and beliefs about the attitude object: a behavioural component: i. Consists of actions or observable behaviour toward the attitude object. Where do attitudes come from: affectively based attitudes, an attitude based more on people"s emotions and feelings about the attitude object, have three things in common: i. ii. They do not result from a rational examination of the issues. Explicit versus implicit attitudes: once an attitude develops, it can exist at two levels, explicit attitudes: i. Attitudes that we consciously endorse and can easily report (e. g. , sam believes all races are equal). b) Attitudes that are involuntary, uncontrollable, and at times unconscious (e. g. , sam gets nervous around black people because of the society he grew up in).

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers