PSYC 1002 Chapter Notes - Chapter 13: Fundamental Attribution Error, Social Perception, Fritz Heider

63 views15 pages
PSYC 1002
Chapter 13: Social Behaviour
Social Psychology: the branch of psychology concerned with the way idiidual’s
thoughts, feelings, and behaviours are influences by others
Social psychologists focuses on how we affect others and how they affect us, they study
how people are affected by the actual, imagined, or implied presence of others, their
iteest is ot liited to idiiduals’ iteatios ith othes, as people a egage i
social behaviour eve he the’e aloe
Look at social psychology as having three dimensions: Affect-how do you feel?,
Behaviours-how do you at?, Cognitions-what do you think about?
Person Perception: Forming Impressions of Others
Person Perception: the process of forming impressions of others
Effects of Physical Appearance:
Studies have shown that judgments of others personality are often swayed by their
appearance, especially their physical attractiveness
People tend to ascribe desirable personality characteristics such as intelligence,
competence, warmth, and friendliness to those who are good-looking
Research findings suggest that little correlation exists between attractiveness and
personality traits, although attractive people do tend to have more friends and better
social skills overall
Extremely attractive people are vastly overrepresented in the entertainment media,
where they are mostly portrayed in a highly favorable, also our perceptions are swayed
by our desire to bond with attractive people
Observers are also quick to draw inferences about people based on how they move,
talk, and gesture, their style of nonverbal expressiveness, based on ten seconds of
videotape, participants can guess strangers sexual orientation with decent accuracy
Based on similar thi slies of ehaiou, osees a ake auate judgets of
idiiduals’ aial pejudie, social status, and intelligence, even static photographs can
provide telling cues about personality, one study found that participants were able to
make meaigful ifeees aout stiulus pesos’ etaesio, opeess to
experience, agreeableness, and self-esteem based on simple photographs
Cognitive Schemas:
Social schemas: organized clusters of ideas about categories of social events and people
Individuals depend on social schemas because the schemas help them to efficiently
process and store the wealth of information that they take in about others in their
interactions, people routinely place one another in categories, and these categories
influence the process of person perception
Self-shea: a itegated set of eoies, eliefs, ad geealizatios aout oe’s
behavior in a given domain
People who are self-schematic for that domain would show differences in how they
processed and remembered information about themselves in that domain, affecting
find more resources at oneclass.com
Unlock document

This preview shows pages 1-3 of the document.
Unlock all 15 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in
how efficiently they process information related to that domain, how easily they can
make judgments about themselves in that domain, and how resistant they are to
counter information about themselves in that domain
Stereotypes:
Stereotypes: widely held beliefs that people have certain characteristics because of their
membership in a particular group
The most common stereotypes in our society are those based on sex, age, and
membership in ethnic or occupational groups, people who subscribe to traditional
gender stereotypes tend to assume that women are emotional, submissive, illogical, and
passive, while men are unemotional, dominant, logical, and aggressive, age stereotypes
suggest that elderly people are slow, feeble, rigid, forgetful, and asexual, Jews are
mercenary, Germans are methodical, Italians are passionate examples of common
ethnic stereotypes, Occupational stereotypes suggest that lawyers are manipulative,
accountants are conforming, artists are moody
Stereotyping is a cognitive process that is frequently automatic and that saves on the
time and effort required to get a handle on people individually
Stereotypes save energy by simplifying our social world. However, this conservation of
energy often comes at some cost in terms of accuracy
Stereotypes frequently are broad overgeneralizations that ignore the diversity within
social groups and foster inaccurate perceptions of people
Our stereotypes also affect us; they influence our conceptualizations of our social
environment, but the ifluee of ou steeotpes o us does’t ed thee; the a
also directly affect our own behaviour
Subjectivity and Bias in Person Perception:
Stereotypes and other schemas create biases in person perception that frequently lead
to ofiatio of people’s epetatios aout othes
People not only see what they expect to see, but also tend to overestimate how often
they see it
Illusory correlation: occurs when people estimate that they have encountered more
confirmations of an association between social traits than they have actually seen
After dealing with a pushy female customer, a salesman who holds traditional gender
stereotypes might characterize the oa as eotioal he might characterize a male
who exhibits the same push ehaiou as aggessie
An Evolutionary Perspective on Bias in Person Perception:
Evolutionary psychologists argue that many biases in person perception, such as the
tendency to quickly categorize people into in groups and outgroups, exist because they
were adaptive in humans ancestral past
In-group: a group that one belongs to and identifies with
Outgroup: a group that one does not belong to or identify with
Attribution Processes: Explaining Behaviour:
Attributions: inferences that people draw about the causes of events, others behaviour,
and their own behaviour
Unlock document

The a deteie ehaiou o if it’s ot oet this a e poleati fo ou soial
interactions
Internal versus External Attributes:
Fritz Heider was the first person to describe how people make attributions
Internal attributes: ascribe the causes of behaviour to personal dispositions, traits,
abilities, and feelings
External attributes: ascribe the causes of behaviour to situational demands and
environmental constraints
Fo eaple, if a fied’s usiess fails, ou ight attiute it to his o her lack of
usiess aue a iteal, pesoal fato o to egatie teds i the atio’s
economic climate (an external, situational explanation)
Attributions for Success and Failure:
According to Weiner, the stableunstable dimension in attribution cuts across the
internalexternal dimension, creating four types of attributions for success and failure
Example, ou’e oteplatig h ou failed to get a jo that ou ated. You ight
attribute your setback to internal factors that are stable (lack of ability) or unstable
(inadequate effort to put together an eye-catching résumé). Or you might attribute your
setback to external factors that are stable (too much outstanding competition) or
unstable (bad luck). If you got the job, your explanations for your success would fall into
the same four categories: internalstable (your excellent ability), internalunstable
(your hard work to assemble a superb résumé), externalstable (lack of top-flight
competition), and externalunstable (good luck)
Bias in Attributes:
Attributions are only inferences, they may not be correct explanations for events
Fundamental attribution error: refers to observers bias in favour of internal attributions
in explaining others behaviour
In many instances, an internal attributio a ot e a eo however, observers
hae a uious tede to oeestiate the likelihood that a ato’s ehaiou
reflects personal qualities rather than situational factors
Actor-observer bias: actors favour external attributions for their behaviour, whereas
observers are more likely to explain the same behaviour with internal attributions
Defensive Attributions: a tendency to blame victims for their misfortune, so that one
feels less likely to be victimized in a similar way
Ex. a friend gets mugged and severely beaten, you may attribute the mugging to your
fied’s aelessess o stupidit
Culture and Attributional Tendencies:
Idiidualis: ioles puttig pesoal goals ahead of goup goals ad defiig oe’s
identity in terms of personal attributes rather than group memberships
Colletiis: ioles puttig goup goals ahead of pesoal goals ad defiig oe’s
identity in terms of the groups one belongs to
Unlock document

Document Summary

Person perception: forming impressions of others: person perception: the process of forming impressions of others. Cognitive schemas: social schemas: organized clusters of ideas about categories of social events and people. In-group: a group that one belongs to and identifies with: outgroup: a group that one does not belong to or identify with. Attribution processes: explaining behaviour: attributions: inferences that people draw about the causes of events, others behaviour, and their own behaviour, the(cid:455) (cid:272)a(cid:374) dete(cid:396)(cid:373)i(cid:374)e (cid:271)eha(cid:448)iou(cid:396) o if it"s (cid:374)ot (cid:272)o(cid:396)(cid:396)e(cid:272)t this (cid:272)a(cid:374) (cid:271)e p(cid:396)o(cid:271)le(cid:373)ati(cid:272) fo(cid:396) ou(cid:396) so(cid:272)ial interactions. Internal versus external attributes: fritz heider was the first person to describe how people make attributions. You (cid:373)ight attribute your setback to internal factors that are stable (lack of ability) or unstable (inadequate effort to put together an eye-catching r sum ). Or you might attribute your setback to external factors that are stable (too much outstanding competition) or unstable (bad luck).

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers