MGMT100 Chapter Notes - Chapter 5: Natural Environment, Cultural Relativism, Ethical Dilemma

78 views4 pages
4 Jun 2018
School
Department
Course
MGMT100: MANAGING: PEOPLE, SYSTEMS AND CULTURE, WEEK 6
Learning Outcome:
Demonstrate how effective management processes contribute to ethical human relations dynamics and
culture formation in an organisation (LO2)
Essential Question:
In what ways can an organisation improve ethical behaviour in the workplace?
Notes:
Ethics and corporate social responsibility:
Ethics the ode of oal piiples that sets stadads of good o ad i a pesos odut
and thereby guides the behaviour of that person or group
o Guides behaviour and helps people make moral choices among alternative courses of
action
o Ethical behaviour is that hih is aepted to e good, ight ad pope
o Just eause a atio is ot stitl illegal doest ake it ethial
o The ethical question extends to personal values the underlying beliefs and attitudes
that help determine individual behaviour
Alternative views of ethical behaviour:
Utilitarian view considers ethical behaviour as that which delivers the greatest good to the
greatest number of people
o This is a result-orientated point of view that tries to assess the moral implication of
decision in terms of their consequences
o eg. Business decision makers are inclined to use profits, efficiency and other
performance criteria to judge what is best for the most people
Individualism view considers ethical behaviours as that which advances long-term self-
interests
o eg. Such things as lying and cheating for short-term gain should not be tolerated, as if
oe peso does it, eeoe ill do it, ad oods long term interests will be served
Moral-rights view considers ethical behaviour as that which respects and protects the
fundamental rights of people
o eg. The inception extends to ensuring that employees are always protected in their
rights to privacy, due process, free speech, free consent, health and safety and freedom
of conscience
Justice view considers ethical behaviour as that which treats people impartially and fairly
according to guiding rules and standards
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com
Unlock document

This preview shows page 1 of the document.
Unlock all 4 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in

Document Summary

Demonstrate how effective management processes contribute to ethical human relations dynamics and culture formation in an organisation (lo2) Justice view considers ethical behaviour as that which treats people impartially and fairly according to guiding rules and standards. Discrimination stati(cid:374)g (cid:858)fa(cid:272)to(cid:396)ies shall employ workers on the basis of their ability to do the jo(cid:271), (cid:374)ot o(cid:374) the (cid:271)asis of thei(cid:396) pe(cid:396)so(cid:374)al (cid:272)ha(cid:396)a(cid:272)te(cid:396)isti(cid:272)s o(cid:396) (cid:271)eliefs(cid:859) Forced labour stati(cid:374)g (cid:858)fa(cid:272)to(cid:396)ies shall (cid:374)ot use a(cid:374)(cid:455) p(cid:396)iso(cid:374), i(cid:374)de(cid:374)tu(cid:396)ed o(cid:396) fo(cid:396)(cid:272)ed la(cid:271)ou(cid:396)(cid:859) Working conditions stati(cid:374)g (cid:858)fa(cid:272)to(cid:396)ies must treat all workers with respect and dig(cid:374)it(cid:455) a(cid:374)d p(cid:396)o(cid:448)ide the(cid:373) (cid:449)ith a safe a(cid:374)d health(cid:455) e(cid:374)(cid:448)i(cid:396)o(cid:374)(cid:373)e(cid:374)t(cid:859) Freedom of association stati(cid:374)g (cid:858)fa(cid:272)to(cid:396)ies (cid:373)ust (cid:374)ot i(cid:374)te(cid:396)fe(cid:396)e (cid:449)ith (cid:449)o(cid:396)ke(cid:396)s (cid:449)ho wish to lawfully and peacefully associate, organise or bargain collectivel(cid:455)(cid:859) People belief that people do their best in healthy work environments with a balance of work and family life. Communities belief that organisations perform best when located in healthy communities.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers