HIUS 1501 Study Guide - Quiz Guide: James Weldon Johnson, Universal Negro Improvement Association And African Communities League, Elijah Muhammad

69 views5 pages

Document Summary

Black power roots: the new negro movement (1920s, move on after 50 years of freedom a. i. Many african americans felt that fighting in the war would give them greater acceptance in the united states a. i. 2. Military initially didn"t want them, but realized scale of war would require everyone they could get a. i. 3. On return, black ships were diverted so they wouldn"t be in the parade. Race riots occurred in more than three dozen cities: tide of migration mass movement toward larger and more democratic chance b. i. Lots of jobs and opportunities in the factories in the north (tide of european immigrants were stemmed) b. i. 1. a. However, after return of soldiers in wwi, jobs were: harlem center of movement given to white soldiers c. i. Prior to 1920, washington d. c. was beacon of hope for african. Post 1920, became harlem: harlem renaissance cultural expression d. i.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers