RTF 307 Study Guide - Midterm Guide: Hypodermic Needle Model, Frankfurt School, Harold Lasswell

193 views13 pages

Document Summary

Note: text in blue is what we haven"t filled out (but is still important) Channels of communication that enable a source to reach and influence a large audience. Sociology argues that the mass media tells us who we are (identity) and how to interact with other people. Causes people to think a certain way; way of identification. Goes from a few large audiences to more numerous and smaller audiences. Not all getting the exact same info at the same time. Websites purposely hide what you look at. On social media, they only bring up thi(cid:374)gs that (cid:455)ou"(cid:396)e i(cid:374)te(cid:396)ested i(cid:374) Neutral study of how politics and economics affects the media. A media group that owns numerous other mass media enterprises such as print, film, tv, etc. A condition when only a handful of fir(cid:373)s do(cid:373)i(cid:374)ate the (cid:373)edia i(cid:374)dust(cid:396)(cid:455) examples are comcast, disney, 21st century fox, time warner, cbs, viacom. Only a few media firms control all of the media.