PHL 301 Study Guide - Final Guide: Consequentialism, Final Good, Existentialism

87 views3 pages
3 Dec 2016
School
Department
Course
Professor

Document Summary

The most moral action (ethical theory) is the one that provides the greatest happiness for the greatest number (in quantity and quality) People saw his ideas as selfish (cid:271)e(cid:272)ause it (cid:449)as (cid:373)a(cid:454)i(cid:373)izi(cid:374)g o(cid:374)e"s o(cid:449)(cid:374) happi(cid:374)ess at the expense of others. He is seen as a consequentialist, what we choose to do is chosen based on value of consequences (he judges morality in terms of the outcome of an action) Morality (what makes actions right or wrong) He defines happiness as the promotion of pleasure and the absence of pain. People"s a(cid:272)hie(cid:448)e(cid:373)e(cid:374)ts as goals a(cid:374)d e(cid:374)ds should (cid:271)e i(cid:374)(cid:272)luded i(cid:374) happi(cid:374)ess. Happiness is the sole basis of morality. Criticisms: protection of individual rights, and that happiness is complex. Connection between justice and utility (happiness is the foundation of justice) We might have to sacrifice ourselves for the greater good of humanity. Make progress towards the truth + subjective preferences. Happiness is the only desirable end, the final good.