BIO 352 Study Guide - Midterm Guide: Autosome, Color Vision, Zygosity

65 views1 pages
20 Jun 2018
School
Course
Professor
Old Exam 2 Problems
1. Red-green color blindness is X-linked in humans. If a male is red-green color blind, and
both parents have normal color vision, which of the males grandparents is most likely to
be red-green color blind?
a. The males mother’s mother, or father. So the grandmother
2. . Two pairs of alleles are involved in eyanide productive in white dover. Some strains
have high cyanide content, others a low one. When high Strain A was crossed with low
Strain B, the F1 had high cyanide content. When F1 plants were crossed among
themselves, the following resulted
a. High cyanide content: 450 plants
b. Low cyanide content: 350 Plants
b.i. Ratio 9:7
b.i.1. Two dominant alleles are needed for high (A_B_)
c. Offer a genetic explanation for these results
c.i. When the F1 plants were crossed among themseleves, the resulting
progeny had a greater probability of high cyanide content (450) then low
cyandie content (350). This greater chance of high content and the fact
that all F1 had high cyanide content can suggest that the high cyanide is
dominant and the F1 were all heterozygous so they shwed the high
cyanide content but also had traced of the low cyanide content, therefore
the low cyanide skipped a generatioon
3. How does sex determination in Drosophila differ from sex determination in humans ?
Sex determination in drosophila is dependent on the # of autosomes in relation
to x chromosomes. Humans, on the other hand, depend on the X and Y
chromosome ratios, regardless of the autosome count
4. How many different trisomic derivatives can be generated from a diploid organism with a
diploid number of 12 (2N=12) ; 2N=12 → N=6
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com
Unlock document

This preview shows half of the first page of the document.
Unlock all 1 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in

Document Summary

Old exam 2 problems: red-green color blindness is x-linked in humans. If a male is red-green color blind, and both parents have normal color vision, which of the males grandparents is most likely to be red-green color blind: the males mother"s mother, or father. Two pairs of alleles are involved in eyanide productive in white dover. Some strains have high cyanide content, others a low one. When high strain a was crossed with low. Strain b, the f1 had high cyanide content. When f1 plants were crossed among themselves, the following resulted: high cyanide content: 450 plants, low cyanide content: 350 plants b. i. Two dominant alleles are needed for high (a_b_: offer a genetic explanation for these results c. i. When the f1 plants were crossed among themseleves, the resulting progeny had a greater probability of high cyanide content (450) then low cyandie content (350). Sex determination in drosophila is dependent on the # of autosomes in relation to x chromosomes.