SOCI 201 Study Guide - Midterm Guide: Sociological Inquiry, Visible Minority, Dependent And Independent Variables

147 views5 pages

Document Summary

Identify and define the four types of suicide according to his theory. Sociological imagination: perceive problems as a result of their individual behaviour within the context of larger social processes. Social solidarity: common theme or thread; degree to which members share beliefs and values and the intensity and frequency of their interaction. Four types of social solidarity: altruisti(cid:272): too (cid:373)u(cid:272)h i(cid:374)tegratio(cid:374) i(cid:374)to so(cid:272)iet(cid:455), to the poi(cid:374)t (cid:449)here the(cid:455)(cid:859)d rather sacrifice themselves for society, egoistic: too little integration into society. Marginalization: fatalisti(cid:272): too (cid:373)u(cid:272)h regulatio(cid:374) i(cid:374) so(cid:272)iet(cid:455). Life is(cid:374)(cid:859)t (cid:449)orth it: anomic: too little regulation n society; not really guiding you. Idea that suicide is not primarily a psychological issue, rather it has to do significantly with integration and regulation in society. Every individual has an equal chance of psychological disorders, not every individual is at an equal risk of committing suicide. Sociology: systematic study of human behaviour, and powerful social forces.