EDUC 464 Study Guide - Final Guide: Social Rejection, Normative Social Influence, Parenting Styles

114 views5 pages
EDUC464 Final
1. A child in your grade 2 classroom has difficulty staying focused during class meetings and is very
impulsive in play situations. The child is also becoming increasingly withdrawn and emotional as the
term progresses. A colleague suggests that your student seems to be losing self-esteem, and that by
supporting the child in learning better self-regulation his self-esteem will gradually improve. Do you
think your colleague has provided sound advice? If you agree, why do you agree? If not, why not?
Explain and support your position
- Burack, J. A., Hodapp, R. M., Iarocci, G., & Zigler, E. (Eds.) (2012)
- Hannah Nissen & Carol J. Hawkins 2012
- Emotional regulation is a critical element of emotional competence, involves the ability to manage
arousal and behavior during social interaction
- For children who demonstrate difficulty in regulating emotion, their expression of emotion often
seems aggressive or intense. This has the potetial to iterfere ith these hildre’s ailit to iterat
with others in socially acceptable ways. Peers and adults are likely to have negative perceptions to
such emotional responses >>> likely lead to social rejection thus lower self-esteem
- poor self-regulation might also impact academic results negatively as it might cause children become
less persistent in learning
- poor academic results can lower self-esteem as the child might perceive himself as less competent
- poor self-regulation might also lead teachers and school staffs to perceive the child as being deviant
and disobedient
- might lead to teachers and school staffs unconsciously treat this child differently>>> leading the
child to have self-image issue and lower self-esteem
- poor self-regulationpoor emotion control might lead to constantly feeling frustrated and angry
- these constant negative emotions might impact the child view himself negatively which in turn
lower self-esteem
2. Do you believe school and/or teachers should have a role in promoting self-esteem? If so, how?
Explain and support your position.
- The Teacher as Relationship Builder
- teacher-hild relatioships otriute i sigifiat ays to a hild’s growing emotional competence
-Children who are able to form secure relationships with their teachers are often able to use that
relationship as a secure base from which to explore the classroom and participate in activities with
others
- leads them to feel more confident and more likely to succeed academically >>>boost self-esteem
- Teacher As Coach and Role Model
- Coach children in problem solving during activities and peer interactions
- when children are able to solve problems and regulate their emotions ith teaher’s assistae, they
are more likely to feel competent and feel good about themselves
- when teachers coach children in their peer interactions, children are more likely to get social
approval from their peers >>> this social success >>self-esteem is boosted
-Teacher As Creator of Healthy Environments
- Estalish a ”good fit” etee hildre’s eeds ad harateristis ad the epetatios of the
learning environment by providing choices that match the needs of the children within the group
- Establish a climate of respect and Believe that each child can succeed
- in this way, the children will have a sense that they are being respected and valued in schools
find more resources at oneclass.com
Unlock document

This preview shows pages 1-2 of the document.
Unlock all 5 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in
3. What is the importance of parental involvement? Give detailed descriptions of how you, as a
teacher, would support and encourage parental involvement in your classroom
-Desirée Baolian Qin & Eun-Jin Han 2014
Burack, J. A., Hodapp, R. M., Iarocci, G., & Zigler, E. (Eds.) (2012)
- parental involvement promotes more parent-child interaction>>> stronger bonding and more secure
attachment
- studies have shown a strong relationship between academic outcome and parental involvement
- studies have also shown the a positive relationship between parental involvement and social
competence and better emotion regulation
- for new immigrants, parental involvement can help their children better adapt to the new
environment
- As a teacher, I need to
- educate/ provide information about the benefits and importance of paretal ioleet i hild’s
development
- create a shared understanding with parents that e all are resposile for the hildre’s
development and success
- organize and arrange school activities for parents to get involved and get a better understanding
hat their hildre’s shool life looks like
- Have open and sincere discussion with parents aout their hildre’s status
- try to gather all relevant family background information of each students >>> make adjustment
ased o these iforatio to etter aoodate ith parets’ ad hildre’s eeds
- most parents have to work and are really busy with their schedule, so they might to have time to
participate in school activities with their children
- therefore, provide some take-home activities for children to bond with their parents, such as a
reading activity that requires both participation of parents and children >>>literacy benefit and
bonding
- for new immigrants, school participation might be intimidating for them due to cultural shock and
language barriers
- ask bilingual teachers or volunteer parents to translate
- hold different cultural events for these parents to participate >>> strengthen children cultural
knowledge and parents might feel more comfortable and belong
4. Discuss some of your own beliefs and presuppositions that might become obstacles in
understanding the perspectives of families with differing cultures and lifestyles.
- religion
- lack of knowledge of other religions and sometimes how the media portray some religions in an
inaccurate way
- lead me have bias in families with certain religions
- western versus east Asian parenting styles
- east Asian emphasizes obedient parenting style while western emphasizes independence
- disagreement on the western parenting style leading me to have difficulty understand the family
dynamic in western families
- I grew up in a family which encourages me to seek help and support when needed
- some cultures do’t eourage seekig for support ad I do’t understand how these families deal
Unlock document

This preview shows pages 1-2 of the document.
Unlock all 5 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in

Document Summary

Educ464 final: a child in your grade 2 classroom has difficulty staying focused during class meetings and is very impulsive in play situations. The child is also becoming increasingly withdrawn and emotional as the term progresses. A colleague suggests that your student seems to be losing self-esteem, and that by supporting the child in learning better self-regulation his self-esteem will gradually improve. Hannah nissen & carol j. hawkins 2012. Emotional regulation is a critical element of emotional competence, involves the ability to manage arousal and behavior during social interaction. For children who demonstrate difficulty in regulating emotion, their expression of emotion often seems aggressive or intense. This has the pote(cid:374)tial to i(cid:374)terfere (cid:449)ith these (cid:272)hildre(cid:374)"s a(cid:271)ilit(cid:455) to i(cid:374)tera(cid:272)t with others in socially acceptable ways. Peers and adults are likely to have negative perceptions to such emotional responses >>> likely lead to social rejection thus lower self-esteem.