POLS 157 Lecture Notes - Lecture 6: Abdullah I Of Jordan, Abdullah Ii Of Jordan, Six-Day War

9 views2 pages

Document Summary

Came into being because of the power of the first king, probably shouldn"t exist. The region that is now jordan had important trade routes going through it, but is mostly desert, populated by nomadic tribes. Became a protectorate of britain after world war one with king abdullah i from the. Abdullah i wanted to form the country of greater syria based on an ancient claim to territory; Lebanon, syria and jordan: britain opposed but he convinced them to give him the piece of land now known as. Gained independence in 1946 with british in a pseudo advisory role. Abdullah assassinated in 1951, but his force of personality contributed to the creation of the state. Jordan seized the west bank from israel angering palestinians: abdullah i assassinated by a palestinian during a government prayer service. His son talal inherited leadership but abdicated: his son hussein became king at 18 in 1953, of a less than 10-year-old country.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers