PSYC 105 Lecture Notes - Lecture 22: Tacit Knowledge, Visual Perception, Epiphenomenon

33 views4 pages
18 Nov 2016
School
Department
Course
Professor

Document Summary

What is imagery: mental imagery: experiencing a sensory impression in the absence of sensory input. Visual i(cid:373)ager(cid:455): (cid:862)seei(cid:374)g(cid:863) i(cid:374) the a(cid:271)se(cid:374)(cid:272)e of a (cid:448)isual sti(cid:373)ulus. Visual imagery is useful: provides a way of thinking that adds another dimension to purely verbal techniques, ca(cid:374) (cid:862)i(cid:373)agi(cid:374)e(cid:863) (cid:449)ith our other se(cid:374)ses as (cid:449)ell. Imagery and the cognitive revolution: developed ways to measure behavior that could be used to infer cognitive processes. Memory for words that evoke mental images (concrete nouns) is better than those that do not (abstract nouns: shepard and meltzer experiment. Participants mentally rotates objects to see if it matched another object. One of the first quantitative studies of imagery. Suggested imagery and perception may share the same mechanism. Measured response time; depends on angle of rotation needed to match objects. Zaps results: the more rotation that is needed, the longer you take. Imagery and perception: spatial correspondence between imagery and perception.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers