MMW 11 Lecture Notes - Lecture 1: Karl Jaspers, Axial Age, The Luminaries

46 views2 pages

Document Summary

Cultivating an analytical and critical habit of mind (b. i. 2. a) (b. i. 2. b) Habit of mind that is useful in and out of the classroom (b. i. 3) Acquiring an empowering versatility and inclusive curiosity for life b. ii) not an ethnocentric approach (western) (b. ii. 1) Cross-cultural and intersectional perspective b. iii) not an anthropocentric (human) or egocentric (self) approach (b. iii. 1) Awareness that our presence in the universe is not an accidental anomaly (b. iii. 2) A sense of interconnectedness with all beings, living and non-living b. iv) ekstasis (ecstatic) as the goal of mmw (b. iv. 1) The making of the modern world = the making of each of us : taking ownership of a true education c. i) what are your responsibilities with this opportunity (c. i. 1) (c. i. 2) Don"t treat college as a conveyor belt, education as a mere commodity. Immersion in ideas passed down for thousands of years c. ii) Ii) learning to be human lessons from the axial age a) In a context of unprecedented change and political crisis (c. ii. 1)

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers