MMW 11 Lecture Notes - Lecture 10: Haojing, Ethical Monotheism, Axial Age

39 views3 pages

Document Summary

Recap from last lecture: focus on geographic, cultural, and political factors that contributed to a distinct sense of identity for ancient china. In a cultural sense, to be chinese is to be confucian (a. ii. 1) (a. ii. 2) So built into the culture that it is inescapable: the historical background b. i) disintegration of zhou rule (b. i. 1) Western zhou capital at haojing (xi"an) overrun in 771 (b. i. 1. a) The king who cried wolf (b. i. 1. a. i) blaming a woman (b. i. 1. a. ii) chinese culture patriarchy (b. i. 2) Warring states (403-221) (b. i. 2. b. i) from west to east dynasty (b. i. 2. b. ii) symbolic power b. ii) Symbolic importance of the state of lu (b. ii. 1) (b. ii. 2) Descent from 11th century figure, the duke of zhou (b. ii. 2. a) For confucius, the ideal of sagely rule (b. ii. 2. a. i) weakest & small state (b. ii. 2. a. ii) home state of confucius (b. ii. 2. a. iii) Claimed their descent from 11th century duke of zhou. Represents the epitome of sagely and loyal minister. Yearning b. iii) the demise of rituals in late 6th century b. ii. 2. a. iii. 2. a. b. ii. 2. a. iii. 2. b. b. ii. 2. a. iii. 2. c. (b. iii. 1) (b. iii. 2)

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers