POL 3 Lecture Notes - Lecture 10: Political Corruption, September 11 Attacks, Scapegoating

27 views4 pages

Document Summary

Domestic politics and )ar: a few ways domestic politics matter , economics, crises, and diversionary incentives, elections, audience costs, and democratic peace. How does the business of weapons production affect war: private interests and the military-industrial complex, domestic economy and (cid:873)wagging the dog(cid:874, dual interests of leaders. Personal: am i doing enough for my country? etc, reelection, dual effects of conflict. Scrutiny/distraction i. i. i. i. ii. i. ii. International conflict also creates a diversion from problems that might otherwise drag down a leader"s popularity. International conflict may give leaders an opportunity to blame foreigners for the country"s problems aka scapegoating d. c: ex. george ). bush approval ratings went from 60% to 90% after. 9/11 attacks; also bumped up during iraq war, capture of saddam. Infinite opportunities for leaders to use diversionary force. Arguments that voters can be punishing in single party systems too: )hat"s the overall impact on .

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers