BIO 200 Lecture Notes - Lecture 5: Mendelian Inheritance, Epistasis, Siamese Cat

26 views8 pages

Document Summary

Many individuals played a role in expanding darwin"s discovery: modern evolutionary synthesis, darwin didn"t know how traits were passed down. Blending inheritance model: physical resemblance in families a. i. Has been noted for as long as we can remember a. ii. For most of history we didn"t know how this came to be a. ii. 1. No clear explanation: people working in agriculture have used breeding techniques to enhance crops and livestock for centuries, believed in a blending inheritance model c. i. The offspring were an intermediate form between mom and dad c. ii. If this worked, we would all look alike no variation c. ii. 1. Gregor mendel: educated in a monastery, studied science at the university of vienne b. i. Flunked out and returned to the monastery: he ended the idea of blending, studied sweet peas at the monastery d. i. The basic cross: one true breeding plant with another true breeding that has a different variation of the same trait a. i.