01:830:301 Lecture Notes - Lecture 2: Absolute Threshold, Cash Register, Psychophysics

51 views2 pages
7 Feb 2017
Department
Professor

Document Summary

Shape, color, size, etc. are attributes computed by the brain. Starting with the pattern of light on the retina. Understanding perception involves understanding the rules of construction . Information processing - figuring the mapping of inputs and outputs of a system. Computational analysis - analyzing the function that is computed via a system. Multiple approaches: theoretical (computational, psychological (behavioral, biological (neuroscience) Psychophysics - study of relationship between physical world and psyche . It"s subjective, there"s no objective value - a patch is only as bright or as dark as you perceive it to be. Minimum change in intensity that leads to a noticeably different stimulus. Boundary between look the same and look different . Light bulb experiment - 100 units and 110 units, 300 units and 330 units, thresholds change with different units. Intensity 1 (i), intensity 2 (i+di), difference threshold (di) Weber"s law - the difference threshold is proportional to stimulus intensity, di = k*i, k= weber fraction .

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers