01:119:115 Lecture Notes - Lecture 17: Gene Expression, Intron, Reverse Transcriptase

39 views9 pages

Document Summary

Dna technology: nucleic acid hybridization a. i. base pairing, genetic engineering b. i. direct manipulation of genes and using them for particular / practical purposes. Technique that will use principle of complimentary base pairing a. i. Use base pairing to determine gene"s sequence: all automated done by sequencing machines, 1st method developed dideoxyribonucleotide (dideoxy) chain termination sequencing c. i. Take dna fragments with 1,000 bp in length and sequence them c. ii. Dideoxyribose lacks two oh groups (lacks 2" and 3") c. iii. Take fragment of dna interested in sequencing c. iii. 1. Designed to base pair with the known 3" end of template strand c. iii. 2. b. Synthesis of each new strand starts 3" end of primer c. iii. 3. c. End up with set with labeled strands c. iii. 3. d. i. Color of the label represents last nucleotide in sequence c. iii. 4. Gel has polymer that acts as a molecular sieve (like a colander) c. iii. 4. a. i. Lets stuff through, some doesn"t go through c. iii. 4. a. ii. Shorter strands move faster through the gel c. iii. 4. a. iii.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers