COM 31800 Lecture 3: 01152019

26 views5 pages

Document Summary

Models of persuasion: elaboration likelihood model, heuristic systematic model of persuasion, unimodal. Elaboration likelihood model: petty & caccipopo (1986, premise: persuasion is a cognitive event, key understanding, the target of persuasive messages use mental processes of motivation and reasoning to accept or reject persuasive messages. Elaboration likelihood model: two routes to persuasion, centrally routed messages, aka elaborate, peripherally routed messages, central route, requires elaboration activity (thought) I like john oliver, so i"ll like the candidate he endorses: neutral peripheral messages: don"t care about issue. I don"t care about john oliver, so i don"t care about his political views: negative peripheral messages: negative response. I don"t like john oliver, so b/c he endorses candidate, i won"t like that candidate. Example of spaghetti shopping: how many peripheral and central shoppers differ in their strategies of buying spaghetti sauce, peripheral shopper: finds a large rack filled with many different brands, prices, and sizes of bottles.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers