SPHHRNG 2230 Lecture Notes - Lecture 2: Temporal Bone, Atresia, Squamous Cell Carcinoma

39 views3 pages

Document Summary

Anatomy and physiology of the auditory system: the outer ear. 4 gross divisions of the auditory system: Pathways of sound (forms of transmission of sound) Bone conduction (bc: sound is conducted through the school and stimulates both inner ears simultaneously i. ii. Bc sound (mostly) bypasses the outer and middle ears: only goes through the sensorineural mechanism and goes directly to inner ear. Pinna (also called auricle: made of cartilage covered with skin, characteristics folds, or landmarks including, helix, concha, tragus, lobe, etc, conducts sound to middle ear, aids in localization and sound collection, catches sound waves. Inner 2/3 is osseous (bony: first 1/3 is cartilaginous. 2: conducts sound to the tympanic membrane, protects the tm from trauma, sebaceous glands secrete cerumen (ear wax, acts as a resonator tube- providing a boost of energy in the 2700- Disorder of the pinna: congenital malformations: microtia i. Alone, has little effect on hearing but may affect localization: anotia i.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers