CO SCI 136 Lecture Notes - Lecture 10: Homeopathy, Immigration Policy, Dispositif

8 views17 pages
5 Nov 2020
School

Document Summary

Strong connotation with black face", black stereotypes, racism, colonialism, which are however, hidden" within the dominant. Discourse" of zwarte piet as an essential part of dutch national identity. Hall, evans & nixon representation: cultural representation and signifying practices. Meaning is thought to lie in the object, person, idea or event in the real world. Language functions like a mirror, to reflect the true meaning as it already exists in the world. I can use the word rose" to refer to real, actual plants growing in a garden. Because i know the code which links the concept with a particular word or image. I cannot think or speak or draw with an actual rose. However, we cannot be the sole or unique source of meanings in language. Depends on shared linguistic conventions and shared codes. Our private intended meanings, have to enter into the rules, codes and conventions of language to be shared and understood.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers