POLS 155 Lecture Notes - Lecture 13: Issue Advocacy Ads, Political Action Committee, Free Rider Problem

63 views1 pages
Chapter 13
In this journal I will be talking about interest groups forms and identify the four types of
interest groups and kinds of interest they present. I will also be describing how interest groups
use lobbying and campaign activities to get the public policy they want. Something else I will be
talking about is the identification resource that interest groups being to bear when attempting to
influence public policy. Last thing I will be talking about is the relationship among citizens
interest groups, and government.
Fraction, according to James Madison is a group of citizens, whether amounting to a
majority of the whole, united and actuated by some common impulse of passion or interest,
adverse to the rights of other citizens, to tot eh permanent and aggregate interest of the
community. Madison geared fraction and argues for a constitutional design that would limit their
influence. The interest group is an organization of individuals who share a common political goal
and are united for the purpose of influencing government decisions. Political action committee is
a fundraising arm of an interest group.
The reason why people join group is because of collective action problem which is the
difficulty in getting people to work together to achieve a common goal when the solution is
costly and no one individuals has incentive to use resources to make it happen. Another reason
why people decide to join groups is because of the collective god which is a good or service, by
its very nature, cannot be denied to anyone who wants to consume it. A free rider problem equals
to an interest group that play an important role in securing and protecting citizen access to
collective good.
Some examples would be public safety, clean air, national defense. Citizens don’t have
to contribute to their efforts in order to enjoy that god. Some of the free riders problem can make
it hard for interest groups to attract me members. As a result, they have creed selective incentives
for membership. Free rider problems are selective incentives which is a benefit that are available
only to group members to get them to join. Roles of interest groups are representation and is
lobbying an interest group activities aimed at persuading policy goals to support the groups
positions. Participation is a mechanism for people sharing the same interest of perusing the same
policy goals to come together, pool resources, and channel their efforts for collective action.
Also, education is one of the most important function is to educate policymakers. Agenda
building is an Interest groups work to get the issues they care about onto that agenda and to make
them a high priority for action. Provision of program alternatives is an Interest groups can supply
alternative suggestions for how they should be dealt with. Program monitoring, helps the
government decide whether to continue or change a policy.
The indirect lobbying for the public is Educating the public which is an Issue advocacy ads
that’s is an advertisements that support issues or candidates without telling constituents how to
vote. Mobilizing the public is a social protest that the public activities designed to bring attention
to political causes, usually generated by those without access to conventional means of
expressing their views. The citizens interest groups Equalizing positions of groups depends on
citizens being willing to participate.May argue that interest groups can achieve progress much
more quickly than political parties because they only need to focus on one issue
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com
Unlock document

This preview shows half of the first page of the document.
Unlock all 1 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in

Document Summary

In this journal i will be talking about interest groups forms and identify the four types of interest groups and kinds of interest they present. I will also be describing how interest groups use lobbying and campaign activities to get the public policy they want. Something else i will be talking about is the identification resource that interest groups being to bear when attempting to influence public policy. Last thing i will be talking about is the relationship among citizens interest groups, and government. Madison geared fraction and argues for a constitutional design that would limit their influence. The interest group is an organization of individuals who share a common political goal and are united for the purpose of influencing government decisions. Political action committee is a fundraising arm of an interest group.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers