SOSC 3370 Lecture Notes - Lecture 10: René Descartes, Antonio Gramsci, Essentialism

66 views3 pages

Document Summary

Social justice and law class 10 january 18 th, 2017. Following gramsci and foucault, examines issues of hegemony and culture. Following althusser (neo-marxist theorist who explains why neo-marxism never took place), argues that media appear to reflect reality but in fact construct it. Studies cultural practices and relations to power; Subjectivity- that humans are a product of history and human beings are conditioned by history and various forces including political and economic conditions. The human being is not the basis of history. What stuart hall is providing in the article is a backlash against the enlightenment theory (human being is fixed) but stuart hall is saying there is no going back to the. Kantian logic (rene descartes (cid:862)i think therefore i a(cid:373)(cid:863)). Focus on representation and cultural differences based on race, class, gender, etc. Representation and meaning (cid:862)it is the parti(cid:272)ipa(cid:374)ts i(cid:374) a (cid:272)ulture (cid:449)ho gi(cid:448)e (cid:373)ea(cid:374)i(cid:374)g to people, o(cid:271)je(cid:272)ts, a(cid:374)d e(cid:448)e(cid:374)ts.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers