PSYC 2110 Lecture Notes - Lecture 15: Sigmund Freud, Neurology, Developmental Psychology

15 views2 pages
30 May 2018
Department
Course
Professor
PSYC 2110 Lecture 15 Notes
Introduction
Origins of a Science of Development
Canadian children moved from being viewed as family property to dependents in need
of state protection.
Slowly this gave way to the recognition that children were semi-independent individuals
with rights of their own.
Now society is moving toward recognition that children are entities in their own right
and should be afforded the economic security guaranteed to other members of society.
G. Stanley Hall conducted the first large-scale scientific investigation of children, and
because of this he is considered by most to be the founder of developmental psychology
as a research discipline (White, 1992).
Well aware of the shortcomings of baby biographies, Hall set out in the late 19th
century to collect more objective data on larger samples.
“peifiall, he as iteested i hilde’s thikig, ad he deeloped a o failia
research toolthe questionnaireto eploe the otets of hilde’s ids (Hall,
1891).
B askig hilde uestios aout a age of topis, Hall disoeed that hilde’s
udestadig of the old gos apidl duig hildhood ad that the logi of oug
children is not very logical at all.
Hall later wrote an influential book titled Adolescence (1904) that was the first work to
call attention to adolescence as a unique phase of the human life span.
At aout the tie Hall as usig uestioaies to stud hilde’s ids, a young
European neurologist was trying a different method of probing the mind and revealing
its contents.
The euologist’s appoah as e fuitful, poidig ifoatio that led hi to
propose a theory that revolutionized thinking about children and childhood.
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com
Unlock document

This preview shows half of the first page of the document.
Unlock all 2 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class