BIOC 2580 Lecture Notes - Lecture 14: Acetyl-Coa, Metabolic Pathway, Cellular Respiration

13 views3 pages

Document Summary

Metabolism can be divided into 2 halves: anabolism process of building up larger and more complex molecules from simple precursors, catabolism breakdown of large molecules and foodstuffs into simpler products. There are many common themes in cellular metabolism. Catabolic pathways converge: the carbon skeletons of most sugars, fats and amino acids are converted into a single centrally important metabolite, a carrier of two-carbon (acetate) units called acetyl coenzyme a (acetyl coa) Anabolic pathways diverge: i. e. acetyl coa can be used to build everything from fatty acids to steroids to components of proteins and nucleic acids. Elucidation of metabolic pathways: the use of metabolic pathways a. B then can be isolated and identified: biochemical genetics, genetic diseases a. i. i. e. alkaptonuria. Urine of these patients turn black due to the accumulated homogentisic acid: the use of auxotrophic mutants b. i. Expose wild type e. coli or yeast to a mutagen to inactivate a gene encoding a specific gene b. ii.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers