NURS 503 Lecture Notes - Lecture 4: Massage, Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, Neuropathic Pain

57 views3 pages

Document Summary

Complementary and integrative therapies for persistent pain management in older adults: a review. Pain control is difficult in any population but even more so in older adults because they have multiple comorbid painful conditions, polypharmacy, age-related changes, and socioeconomic factors restricting drug options. Importance of cim approaches (complementary and integrative medicine: refer to practices and products of non-mainstream origin, most approaches are either herbs, vitamins, minerals, or yoga, meditation, acupuncture. Guided i(cid:373)ager(cid:455): fo(cid:272)used rela(cid:454)atio(cid:374) used to e(cid:374)ha(cid:374)(cid:272)e a(cid:374) i(cid:374)di(cid:448)idual"s (cid:272)opi(cid:374)g resour(cid:272)es through visualization and direct suggestion. Massage: manual manipulation of muscle, connective tissue, tendons and ligaments. There are relaxing massages (swedish massage) or rehabilitative massage (deep tissue) Acupuncture: technique for balancing the flow of energy along meridians within the body. Using needles to stimulate nerves, muscles, and connective tissue. Cog(cid:374)iti(cid:448)e beha(cid:448)ioural therap(cid:455): e(cid:454)plori(cid:374)g relatio(cid:374)ships (cid:271)et(cid:449)ee(cid:374) a(cid:374) i(cid:374)di(cid:448)idual"s thoughts, feelings and behaviours to gain insight into these patterns that may influence pain and stress.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers