BUS 272 Lecture Notes - Lecture 3: Personal Identity, Confirmation Bias, Stereotype

43 views11 pages

Document Summary

Ch3-perceiving ourselves and others in organizaions: self-concept: how we perceive ourselves . Who am i? how do my feel about myself? . Self-concept complexity, consistency, and clarity: first, self-concepts have varying degrees of complexity, that is, the number of distinct and important roles or identities that people perceive about themselves. Complexity is determined not only by the number of selves but also by the separation of those selves: a second characteristic of self-concept is its internal consistency. People have high internal consistency when most of their self-perceived roles require similar personality traits, values, and other attributes. Self-concept complexity, consistency, and clarity are important because they influence a person"s well-being behavior, and performance. People tend to have psychological well- being when they have multiple selves (complexity) that are well established (clarity), and are similar to each other and compatible with personal traits (consistency). In addition to these characteristics are four processes that shape self-concept and influence a person"s decisions and behavior:

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers