ACS 106 Lecture Notes - Lecture 9: Dysphemism, Predicable, Part Of Speech

68 views2 pages

Document Summary

For what a word to be pejorative it is not a good thing. Euphemism: make something seem better then it actually is (sea/lake, death/pass away) Dysphemism: a derogatory or unpleasant term used instead of a pleasant or neutral one. Narrowing: has gone from more general to more particular. Broadening: has gone from more particular to more general. Some problems with formal semantics (sentence meaning vs. speaker meaning: predicable calculus (cid:862)(cid:374)ever eat (cid:373)ore tha(cid:374) you (cid:272)a(cid:374) life(cid:863) if this quote is trying to force you do something beyond your capacity (cid:862)i(cid:374)visi(cid:271)le(cid:863) mea(cid:374)i(cid:374)g. Mental/cultural habits: deixis (this, that, here, now) usually uses the closed class morphemes, anapora (the dog, it, we, presupposition. Speech arts: what are you trying to accomplish by saying something (an utterance used to accomplish an intended purpose, either directly or indirectly (eg. you want to help me with this fire wood)

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers