PSYC 215 Lecture Notes - Lecture 10: Mark Leary, Spreading Activation, Unconditionally

15 views3 pages

Document Summary

Metaphor: evaluation (esteem) of your car may fluctuate, evaluation = exectancy x value, expectancy (car goes fast) x value (i want to go fast) The idea of expectancy x value: same concept applies to self esteem! We are wired to feel good in a dominant, high status social position: allows more access to food and mates. Hierarchy is seen in many animals: need to belong. We are wired to feel good when accepted, included, attached . Humans in groups are more likely to survive: mates, help. Key ideas: sociometer theory (mark leary, mark leary states humans have an evolved thermometer to measure inclusion. We know which of our characteristics are more likely or less likely to be accepted by our peers. Individuals with higher self-esteem tend to feel more accepted: conditional acceptance, versus unconditional acceptance, influences self-evaluative feelings, a person"s ratings of . How would i feel about myself (given certain successes and failures) correlates with.

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers